Here I cover in raw, undocumented and uncommented mode the process to update and upgrade your Exadata using the last version of everything. AND since Oracle 18c was released to use with Oracle Exadata (from SQL Maria), this post include the Oracle 18c upgrade for Grid Infrastructure and Oracle database binaries installation.
Since one friend was decommissioning one old Exadata X2 (running after the end of life), I used to do some tests and here you will find the commands, outputs, images that I use to (in order):
- Apply the patch 18.104.22.168.180116 for Oracle Grid Infrastructure 12.1.
- Update the Infiniband switches to last version 2.2.7-1.
- Apply the patch for Exadata Storage Server using the last version, 22.214.171.124.0.180125.3.
- Apply the patch for Exadata Database Servers using the last version, 126.96.36.199.0.180125.3
- Upgrade the Oracle Grid Infrastructure 12.1 to Grid Infrastructure 12.2, applying PSU 188.8.131.52.180116 at same time.
- Upgrade the Oracle Grid Infrastructure 12.2 to Oracle Grid Infrastructure 18c.
- Install Oracle database binaries for Oracle Database 18c and Create a test Oracle Rac Instance.
First, I need to sorry about the long delay since my last update. The last one was in 03/August/2015, so, more than 2 years without news. But I can’t complain about that, was a really busy time here:
- Oracle Zero Data Loss Recovery Appliance (ZDLRA) deployment: two of them in the end of 2015 and begin of 2016 and working together with two Oracle Exadata to build DR site and reaching RPO and RTO zero. First ZDLRA of Brazil, second in American Latina and one of the first of world to achieve this kind of level.
- Oracle Open World: linked with the first topic. Because of the size of the project and high complexity of the project I was speaker (together with ZDRLA dev team) in Oracle Open World SFO 2015. Link for presentation here.
- DR site: specify/implement/deploy/etc DR site during 2015 and 2016, EXA+EXA+DG+ZDLRA+RPO+RTO. So, busy work that unfortunately is not plug and play.
- Exadata: New deployments to achieve more throughput/performance
- Big Move: at the end of 2017 I moved from Brazil to work with a new challenge as DBA in Europe, Luxembourg at eProseed (http://www.eproseed.com).
- Family: Family increased, basically 1+1=3 (and this count is correct, don’t worry).
I promise to update more constantly here. Stay tuned!