Exadata X8M model it was released in the Oracle Open World 2019 and the new feature, “M”, was aimed to reduce the latency and increase the IOPS. The Exadata X8M uses the Remote Direct Memory (RDMA) to allow database access the storage server memory directly. And the memory, in this case, it is special, X8M uses Intel Optane DC Persistent Memory modules (DIMM/NVDIMM – Non Volatile DIMM – to provide PMEM – Persistent Memory) attached directly at storage server and these can be accessed directly from the database using RDMA trough RoCE network. Let’s check the details to see what it is.
Last week, at 27/August/2019, ZDLRA team released the new major version 19.2 (126.96.36.199.1) of Recovery Appliance Software. As always, some new features like supported databases, but some downsides too.
The main features for the software side:
- Support for 19c databases.
- Improved way to apply the patch (the rpm installation is not anymore manual).
- Improved way to rollback the patch in some cases.
Other changes that deserve the hint:
- Runs over 19.4 version of GRID and RDBMS.
- Runs over Exadata System Software 188.8.131.52.0 (this means OEL 7) for DB and Storage.
- Updated version for TFA, Exachk, and OEDA; all 19.x version.