HAIP (High Availability IP) is not supported for the Exadata environment but can occur (if you did not create the cluster using OEDA) that HAIP became in use. And this particularity true for ZDLRA. So, during the upgrade from the previous version (12.2) to a higher version, it is needed to remove HAIP.
Usually, when we upgrading from 12.2 to 18c the HAIP is removed from Exadata. If the upgrade is from 12.1, and HAIP is there, it continues and is not removed by the upgrade process. If you are using HAIP and your GI is 12.1, this procedure as-is described here can’t be used (need some adaptation), because of some requirements from ASM+ACFS+DB. But since this is a preliminary step from a GI upgrade, the focus is to disable and remove it from GI.
The HAIP is not needed for Exadata because by architecture the InfiniBand network already defines (per server) two IP’s to avoid the single point of failure. So, it is not needed to create an additional layer (HAIP and virtual IP), that does the same that already exists by network design.
Recently I executed the upgrade of Oracle GI to 19c version, from 184.108.40.206 to 220.127.116.11 version. But one step that was not showed there was that, because of requirements, the GI was upgraded from 18.104.22.168 to 22.214.171.124. This upgrade is a just Release Update (RU) apply and opatchauto command.
But during this upgrade, from 18.2 to 18.6, I faced (more than one time – 5 to be precise) errors during the update because of the MGMTDB errors. I got these errors:
ORA-12514, TNS: Listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor
CRS-10407: (:CLSCRED1079:)Credential domain does not exist.
Here I will show how to solve these errors, how to identify if everything was fine and if you can continue. Be careful that it is an example, always open a support SR to identify the source of the error.
Upgrade GRID infrastructure is one activity that usually is postponed because it involves a sensible area that, when not works, causes big downtime until be fixed. But, in the last versions, it is not a complicated task and if you follow the basic rules, it works without problems.
Here I will show a little example of how to upgrade the GI from 18.6.0 to 19.5. The steps below were executed at Exadata running version 126.96.36.199.0.191012 and GI 188.8.131.52, but can be done in every environment that supports Oracle GI.
Recently I made an Exadata stack upgrade/update to the last 19.2 version (184.108.40.206.0.191012) released in October of 2019, and update the GI to the last 19c version (220.127.116.11.191015) and after that, I hade some issues to create 11G databases.
So, when I try to create an 11G RAC database, the error “File -oracka.ko- was not found” appears and creation fails. Here I want to share with you the workaround (since there is no solution yet) that I discovered and used to bypass the error.
The actual environment is:
Grid Infrastructure: Version 18.104.22.168.191015
Exadata domU: Version 22.214.171.124.0.191012 running kernel 4.1.12-124.30.1.el7uek.x86_64
Recently, in March, I made the reimage from an X5-2 HA ODA and saw a strange behavior during the diskgroup creation and couldn’t reproduce (because involve reimaging again). Basically, the FLASH diskgroup was not created.
But in last May I reimaged another ODA using the same patch/imageversion (126.96.36.199 – Patch 27604623) and was possible to verify again. In both cases, I created the appliance using the CLI “odacli create-appliance” using JSON file because the network uses VLAN (what it is impossible to create using the web interface), and both appliances are identical (X5-2 HA with SSD for RECO and FLASH).
To reimage, I followed the steps in the docs for this version and used the ISO to do the baremetal procedure. If you look in the docs about the options for storage (check here) you can see that there is no single reference to use FLASH diskgroup (or that you need to do that). Checking in the readme/reference JSON files that exist in the folder “/opt/oracle/dcs/sample” under file “sample-oda-ha-json-readme.txt”: